I was searching for new features available in PeopleSoft 8.50 and landed at Gray Sparling solutions blog. Larry Gray has one post on Query Drilling URL Feature in People Tools 8.5
Benefits of this feature in PeopleTools 8.5
Although it was possible to embed drilling hyperlinks in to queries since PeopleTools 8.45, there were several limitations in how it was accomplished that made it difficult to design, manage, support, and even use.
· Because the only way it knew whether to turn data into a hyperlink was to evaluate the HTTP: at the beginning of the data returned from query column, references were hard-coded to a specific environment (meaning you have to fix the URI when moving between environments)
· The syntax for embedding references to pages, queries, and references to data to pass into the pages or queries was very cumbersome and depending on the platform, required knowledge of both trimming data and concatenating syntax.
· You could not attach a drilling link to data in the query. In other words, you have to display the drilling link in the result set (often a very large string) as its own entity. Ideally, you would like to be able to click on an EMPLID or DEPTID and drill to data for either of those
Fortunately, the features in PeopleTools 8.5 address these limitations
· The expression object in Query is extended with a new expression type called Drilling URL. Because it is a special type of expression, Query knows to turn it into a hyperlink regardless of the data in it.
· It supports relative references that begin at the content type (Query, Component, or External). This means that queries moved between environments do not need to be modified to fix URI values
· It allows linkage between bind values and data in the query easily without requiring meta-sql or other advanced SQL syntax
· It allows specifying which fields the URL should be attached to. This means that your queries look a lot better and are much more usable. These links are also embedded in all output types of query.
Post a Comment